Tuesday, December 29, 2015

Terry's Tiny Tour: The View Outside from 85 Park Place, New Home To Georgia State's Law School

* Thanks to Sam Donaldson who gave Stuart Jackson and me a tour of 85 Park Place. Thanks Stuart for including me.

* You are probably wondering if I like it. Well...

* What our modernist designers do best, they did here: Walls of windows and a soaring atrium that slashes tall and deep into the building "bringing" the sunlight.

* Interior windows light interior rooms so claustrophobics can be somewhat at ease.

* Open spaces mean you'll see your fellow students and teachers and they will see you right back.

* A monumental floating stairway "brings" the diagonals.

* Two words: terrazzo floors.

* There aren't any cultural symbols inside 85 Park Place. I just can't imagine portraits of judges or alumni, certainly no Moses in there. Wouldn't it would ruin the minimalist effect?

* Attention artists: Y'all could do something bodacious in here. Please do.


* Fortunately the blandness of the finishes, the soaring atrium, hallway enfilades and glorious windows take the eye outside towards the Candler Building, the Flatiron and the Carnegie Buildings.

20151209_122504 2015-12-09 Candler Building from the Georgia State University and its College of Law 85 Park Place
* And you can go outside on the decks while you are inside.

IMG_20151209_123426 2015-12-09 Carnegie Building from the Georgia State University and its College of Law 85 Park Place carnegie building water tower
* I didn't know there was a water tower atop the Carnegie.

* I was too busy looking outside to capture the inside but I did take a couple of videos.

*Here's one from a stairway landing, I even caught the street car. This feels BIG CITY.



* And another from higher up.



* You are probably wondering if I like it. Would I enjoy going to school in a brand new building with a view and elevated decks? Well yeah. Thanks Sam and Stuart.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive