Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Shutters --> throw pillows for outdoors

Our designer friend, Gordon, got us hooked on shutters. It's not the worst thing to be hooked on for sure.

Sometimes a final detail, sometimes a curb appeal eye-catcher, sometimes a flaw concealer, sometimes a distractor, sometimes all four and often amusing, they are always worth a look.

We try to reason out how the shutters (or throw pillows) tie things together or make things pop.


But shutters compete. You can't have the same shutter form or color as any of your neighbors. They must be unique.

As you go up the scale, shutters become "designer" and worth a very close look.

My Monday errands take me by a house near Mr. Paron Road. It was rather forlorn. It looked newish but abandoned in the crash.

I've been rooting for it, hoping for a comeback.

They've been fluffing it up, now doing the shutters. I don't think it needs them but I'll leave that to the professionals.

P1040668--2011-02-06--Conway-Shutter-Color-Choice
Interesting 4 over 6 sashes. See the quoins? Is that lantern a bit small? I'll bet they get bigger lanterns; they'll have to compete with the shutters.

What do you think so far?

That same day. I cruised this house. It's getting a Spitzmiller & Norris re-do.

P1040670--2011-02-06--Porch-Support-Spitzmiller-Norris-WIP
I thought the old columns were fine and I'm really loving the green door.

Who knows what it will look like when it done?

4 comments:

  1. I do tend to like smaller lights at a front door. Quite Edwardian.

    Le Jardin Blanc in Douglasville, GA has an incredible green door. And they have a great Tea.

    Then, some antique light shows up and I like it BIG.
    XO T

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the green door too! I always think of colorful shutters being for coastal houses!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You actually make it appear really easy together with your presentation however I to find this topic to be actually one thing which I think I would by no means understand. It kind of feels too complicated and extremely large for me. I am looking forward on your subsequent submit, I'll try to get the hang of it!
    Bogs Women's Classic Mid Tuscany Rain Boot

    ReplyDelete

Blog Archive