Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Teardown 2/3's Done, Arches and Gables.

I don't often drive this quiet Morningside street so I'm not sure if they tore the whole thing down.
Update from Brad:
"We didn't tear down the entire house. We kept the garage and two main floor bedrooms (will become an office and guest room), the existing main floor bath, and the existing main floor framing and foundation. They should be ready to stucco soon."
In any case it fits, it's bigger and will be brand new. It's by Brad Heppner. To my eye it has something extra. I don't know quite what it is but the shapes catch my eye.


2011-05-09-Middlesex-Heppner-Teardown-Before-3
Here is the before. The house to the right is a teardown in what I'd call craftsman revival.

2011-05-09-Middlesex-Heppner-Teardown-Before-2
It's the house with the darkest roof.

Most Morningside houses are bigger than you'd guess. Most don't show all they've got to the street.

2011-05-09-Middlesex-Heppner-Teardown-Before-4

P1100556-2011-05-09-Middlesex-Heppner-Teardown

P1100557-2011-05-09-Middlesex-Heppner-Teardown-Gables-Arches-Detail
Love those gables.

11 comments:

  1. Saw Brad mention this house on Facebook. Thanks for doing the research. I like it. Keep us posted.

    ReplyDelete
  2. looks great...I like the side elevation almost as much as the front.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It fits the space! Well done. And the gables are great and I'm all about those window on the second floor. Do they open outward. Nice.

    www.ajbarnesonline.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Brad Heppner is so talented! Those arches are fabulous!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, a case where the sides look a good as the front.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love that. What a great house they'll have.

    By the way, my blog is on vacation for a little while. When I get back, I'll have a funny story about the skinny house.

    Best,
    Kathleen (House Things)

    ReplyDelete
  7. That side reeks of Lutyens.

    Garden & Be Well, XO T

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love it. You're right, it fits. The front arches are nice, too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's just wonderful. A breath of fresh air in contrast with the cookie-cutter renovations/new construction yet it fits so well. Can't wait to go by and see it in person.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think your discussion on tear-down verse renovation is an interesting point that we struggle with all the time. There are so many things involved in this decision with a client based on costs, environment, aesthetics, etc. Does anyone have any thoughts to add?

    ReplyDelete
  11. ...and with a touch of Bobby McAlpine for good measure.

    ReplyDelete

Blog Archive