Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Dutch gables, Cape Dutch architecture in Atlanta?

Last week I had an Architecture epiphany: Cape Dutch Architecture. I was trying to decipher this house near Ponce de Leon close to Belly General Store.
P1281826-Mission-Classic-Gable-StCharles

I'd always thought this was a Spanish eclectic and I do so like it when the gable end faces the street. But further research revealed this to be a Dutch Gable. The cross gables lead me here: "Franschhoek Gabled Cape Dutch Homesteads" and my epiphany.
P2092082-Dutch-Gable-Poncey-High

Now I'm on the hunt for more of these around Atlanta.
P2092083-Dutch-Gable-Poncey-High-Detail

P2092084-Dutch-Gable-Poncey-High-West-Detail

Here is a real Cape Dutch House.
Image courtesy of RobW_ / Robert Wallace at Flickr

1 comment:

Blog Archive