Tuesday, October 5, 2010

I didn't know I loved paper so much. Twinrocker Handmade Paper at Georgia Tech

Listen up: Science, technology, engineering, history, craft, fine art all in one package.

Do you know the Robert C. Williams Paper Museum at Georgia Tech. I knew is was there on the corner of 10th and Hemphill, but honestly - a paper museum? Now we know, no excuses.

I'm on so many mailings lists. When I put the September 23 reception in my calendar for "Twinrocker: Forty Years of Hand Papermaking open through December 17, 2010," I didn't know I'd meet Kathryn and Howard Clark, heroes to the American art world, who founded the first American hand paper mill to operate since 1929, who supplied paper to the world from rural Indiana, who finished each others' sentences as every mature loving couple should.
P1040227-2010-09-23-Twinrocker-Opening-GaTech-KATHRYN-CLARK-and-HOWARD-CLARK

Art, calligraphy, books, all on Twinrocker paper, filled the fine art rooms. The beautiful work so perfectly displayed, I fell in love on the spot. Wouldn't you love this book?
P1040202-2010-09-23-Twinrocker-Opening-GaTech

Tech student Amaris Gutierrez Ray helped curate the exhibit. I think she'd fallen in love too. The colors of the folded work behind her pushed my buttons, the texture of the paper made it seem alive, I think.
P1040200-2010-09-23-Twinrocker-Opening-GaTech-Self-Portraits-Amaris-Gutierrez-Ray

A couple of Rauschenbergs on the wall. Below them "Self Portrait in a Convex Mirror" with 8 Original Prints.
P1040197-2010-09-23-Twinrocker-Opening-GaTech-Self-Portraits-on-wall-Rauschenberg


Jim DineLarry RiversAlex Katz
Artists and book binders worked with Twinrock to make magic, meant to be enjoyed, some meant to be handled, all meant to last "as long as Indiana."
P1040201-2010-09-23-Twinrocker-Opening-GaTech

P1040213-2010-09-23-Twinrocker-Opening-GaTech

The girl in pigtails, just one page of a handmade book.
P1040230-2010-09-23-Twinrocker-Opening-GaTech

The Paper Institute Building is quite nice, part museum, part lab, part office, any architecture tourist would find it interesting. Here is the lobby, to the right: fine art and gift shop, to the left: history, manufacturing, and paper technology.
P1040208-2010-09-23-Twinrocker-Opening-GaTech-Lobby

Love those engineers. This is one of the walls of patent plaques.
P1040232-2010-09-23-Twinrocker-Opening-GaTech-Patent-Wall

Secret: Way above average food, suitable for a hungry Tech students, including a big yummy cake. Make a note for the next reception. "Hidden Treasures: Marbling from the Permanent Collection" January 27, 2011 – March 2011. (Capella blogged about Marbling today.)
P1040234-2010-09-23-Twinrocker-Opening-GaTech-Lobby

Way above average for the "trade school" elevator lobby.
P1040233-2010-09-23-Twinrocker-Opening-GaTech-Elevator-Wall

If you want to try it out, let me know. I'm ready for another visit.
P1040196-2010-09-23-Twinrocker-OpeningGaTech

Here are all my pictures from the Twin Rocker Reception.

P.S. If you are like me, didn't do to art school, and would like to know more about paper-making and the importance of "sizing" for watercolor papers, here is an Academy Award nominated documentary about Twinrocker. It is about 27 minutes long and worth it.

Mark of the Maker from Ravenswood Media on Vimeo.

4 comments:

  1. I had forgotten that museum and excellent it is. Who cannot be interested in handmade paper? The exhibit looks great and I shall visit it soon. Thank you, Terry - great post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am amazing at the breadth of knowledge that you have about the goings-on in Atlanta. I will be visiting this museum shortly.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had class in that building for two semesters and never went into the museum. I need to go!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think college galleries are mostly unvisited if not unknown even to insiders.

    ReplyDelete

Blog Archive