Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Atlanta's Breuer Library displays photographs of itself and I have a BFO

I had an epiphany today, a B.F.O, a Blinding Flash of the Obvious.
Opening tomorrow, October 14: The Young Architects Forum (YAF) presents their 1st Annual Photography Competition titled, YAF10 - Envisioning Breuer. There will be quite a todo starting at 5. An opening ceremony, cash awards, and speech by Phillip Spears. Find out more. For you design mavens, Room and Board is one of the sponsors.
I've never found the Breuer Library to be lovable and I've been working on it since 1977 when I was working downtown. These days I visit the downstairs gallery when my errands take me downtown. Today folks were setting up the new exhibit on the main floor.
P1040554-2010-10-13-Atlanta-Central-Downstairs-Photo-Show-GetReady-YAF10-Envisioning-Breuer-From-Lobby

I made a little video of the folks setting up. Afraid I might have recorded an unladylike pose, I showed the video to my hosts.

Looking at the video on the tiny screen one said, "Look at the lights." Here is the little 41 second video.


My BFO? It's not just the lights. It's that the Breuer is imminently photogenic. Just "look at the lights."
P1040552-2010-10-13-Atlanta-Central-Downstairs-Photo-Show-GetReady-YAF10-Envisioning-Breuer-Ceiling-Lights

Iit's perfect subject for it's own show.
P1040549-2010-10-13-Atlanta-Central-Downstairs-Photo-Show-GetReady-YAF10-Envisioning-Breuer

I'm pretty sure my unconscious brain has known this a while. Now it's front on center. I may yet fall in love with the Breuer.

I'm always stunned as I ascend the stairway from the basement gallery to the main floor.
P1040547-2010-10-13-Atlanta-Central-Stair-Window

If you visit, make sure to see "He Said, She Said: An Atlanta Celebrates Photography Exhibition" in the downstairs gallery.
P1040545-2010-10-13-Atlanta-Central-Downstairs-Photo-Show-He-Said-She-Said

P1040544-2010-10-13-Atlanta-Central-Downstairs-Photo-Show-He-Said-She-Said-Sign

You'll a catch the Zen View through that crazy window on the stairs.


I need to study: Maybe Breuer knew all about Vermeer and the camera obscura.

4 comments:

  1. Ha! You are going to fall in love with Breuer- I can tell you're catching the fever! Great natural light, tremendous patina on the floor (did you go into the stairwell, the concrete is really beautiful). Check out the chairs in the children's library, too. Ohhh and don't miss the auditorium!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been there many 100's of times. I've tried everything. I always thought it clever, an amazing feat of conceptualization. Never hated it. But I was in the old library 100's of times too. It required no struggle at all to like. I watched them tear it down and build the new one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Terry it sounds like an amazing work of architecture! Thank you for the wonderful images!

    I have a Luxurious New Giveaway on my site....Do come and enter!!

    Xoxo
    Karena
    Art by Karena

    ReplyDelete
  4. I found useful information here.Gone are the days when Fresh Fruit and Vegetables were simply stacked on top of each other with the hope that consumers took the top pieces on offer! Instead, tiered units at point-of-sale are available in a variety of configurations, sizes and shapes to present the most visually appealing Produce Display, which also provide the consumer with choice of product.

    ReplyDelete

Blog Archive